is a story-driven tactical game set in a sci-fi theme with a strong focus on turned based combat. While staying loyal to the core elements of the genre, we decided to introduce new gameplay features as well as elements from other genres, making Eternal Escape a unique experience.
- Strong focus on exploration and turn-based tactical combat
- Deep and complex combat-system, easy to learn but hard to master
- Test and experiment before actually executing the choices you made - a unique feature and key element of our gameplay
- Detailed and comprehensible feedback during combat
- High replayability: different strategies to approach a mission
- Four main classes with different weapons and unique skills and several lead characters having their own set of skills
- Make use of the environment for your own tactical advance: destroy walls, climb hills for better view, hide and attack behind covers
- Huge space station with a wide diversity of settings, like prison facility, research labs, biospheres and also planetary surfaces
- Areas might change over the course of the game and could be revisited to unlock secrets and optional missions
- Story-driven: Each team members has his own background-story and motivation
- Faction system: Different factions are in war with each other, choose your allies carefully
Being passionate gamers for decades, we played and finished games from all kinds of genres, though most of all we enjoyed RPGs and TBTs (Turn-based tactics) in particular. We loved to play games like UFO, XCOM, Jagged Alliance and Valkyria Chronicles. Unfortunately good TBTs are rare finds these days, often lacking the complexity and depth of former titles. After graduating from our game development studies in Trier, Germany, we decided to turn our hobby into one goal: Developing a turn-based tactical game that combines tactical gameplay with strategy and role-playing elements. We liked the idea to add more complexity to the game, while making sure the rules are easy to understand und it’s still fun to play.
While definitely a tactical game at its core, we like to add new innovative elements as well as elements from other genres. For instance we decided to go for a free adjustable third person camera instead of the usual isometric view, the introduction of role-play elements, like individual attributes, skills and classes. Moreover you have the ability to test and plan every action before executing the choices you make, therefore improving the overall transparency of your action's consequences.
The game itself is divided into 3 parts:
- Tactical Missions: Consisting of combat and exploration, both being turn-based. Most of the time you will play missions fighting your adversaries.
- Key Areas: Customize your team in headquarters: assemble and equip your squad, pick and develop your squad skills. Other key areas involve trading, recruiting or story-development.
- Travel Map: Choose your next mission freely on the station map or visit different key areas
The story centers around our protagonist who has been imprisoned in a high security facility. His past yet to be revealed during the course of the game, it is uncertain why he has been taken captive, what crime he has committed. Word is that nobody has ever escaped this prison ...alive. The prison is part of a colossal space station run by the government, military and some major corporations. Because of the nature of its research, ranging from military appliances to biological warfare, the station is located in a remote part of our galaxy and isolated from human society by the vast vacuum of space. A recent incident caused great havoc almost resulting in the complete destruction of the station, although our inmates are still unaware of the scope of events around them.... until now. Now it's up to you - use the turmoil to your advantage. In order to escape you have to forge alliances with different factions within the prison and recruit inmates for your team. Only if you uncover the truth about your past as well as find and eliminate the cause of the incident that brought the station to the brink of destruction you might be able to escape this madness.
The development of Eternal Escape is currently in the pre-alpha stage and Early Access is scheduled for the end of 2018. The current content is not representative for the final release and might be subject to change. The story-driven game will be released episode-wise to allow earlier access to the game and still be able to expand the universe with new missions, areas, characters and skills over time. Each episode will be a stand-alone game with a self-contained story. We are currently working on a demo version to be available soon. You will be able to play a mission with both mandatory and optional objectives controlling a predetermined squad, with each unit possessing unique weapons and skills.
This project is flexible to changes suggested from the community. We're looking forward to reading your feedback and critiques.
Dirk EckertGame Design & Lead Programmer
"If you are not a part of the solution, you are a part of the problem."
Sebastian KnorrProgrammer & Level Script
"One does not simply run out of tasks."
Jan RingelEnvironment Artist & 3D Animation
Alexander ScholzGame- Design & Management
"You start coding. I’ll go find out what they want."